This beautifully maintained historic homestead provides travellers with comfortable accommodation and shared facilities, grassy camping area, huge home-style meals, refreshing beverages and fuel. EFTPOS is available.
Located 136 km north of Laura the roadhouse is halfway between Cairns and Weipa.
Locals drop in to pick up mail, "truckies" in their "big rigs" transporting essential supplies to remote Cape York communities and cattle stations often rest here and travellers gather to share stories and share some handy tips on conditions and places to visit on the way to "the tip".
Musgrave Telegraph Station was named after Sir Anthony Musgrave who was governor of Queensland from 1883-1888. The station was one of 6 constructed to service the new electric telegraph line on Cape York Peninsula in 18866. All 6 Cape York stations (Musgrave, Coen, Mein, Morton, McDonnell and Paterson) were pre-cut and framed in Brisbane by the contracting firm E & J Headland. It opened for business on December 23 1886.
In the late 1920’s, the high cost of maintenance and low traffic on the line prompted the Post Master General to consider closing some of the stations. Short wave radio had been introduced on Thursday Island and it was felt that alternate telegraph stations could be closed without seriously affecting the service. Musgrave Telegraph Station closed on June 22 1929.
Fred Shepard bought the station in 1931. He already owned Lilyvale Station and then applied for the lease on Artemis and Mary Valley, thus completing the estate of 2350 sq kms. He died in 1952 and the properties continued to be operated by his wife Mary and family. Mary retired to Mareeba in 1976 and the estate was divided between the families.
Because of its location Musgrave has always been of vital importance to the welfare of travellers in Cape York Peninsula. As more tourists began to visit the region the family decided to turn the homestead into a Roadhouse. Meals and drinks were originally served from under the house until the present café and accommodation were built in the 1980s. It has seen many changes but is still owned and operated by family members.
Ph: (07) 4060 3229